[CentOS] DKMS

Sat Apr 5 17:01:25 UTC 2008
Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com>

On 05/04/2008, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I understand why you want screenshots - in the early days there are
> language
> problems :-)

As Anne says, above, "A picture is worth a thousand words." I agree.

John wrote:

> I knew of the Dell article, as I have all of those saved for reference.
> [1] I was just wondering if you knew of any that were for someone knew
> to Linux. You know the Microsoft type tutorials that have screenshot
> with them. That's the question I get asked a lot of times from around my
> home area.

Answering your question, John: Sorry, no. I don't know of any tutorials on
this subject that would be appropriate for anyone new to a Linux based OS.
When I initially read your request, I naively assumed you were asking for a
straightforward document listing the dkms actions for your own use.

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 16:49 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> Whilst I sympathise with your observation, and I'm sure we all know
> users like that, CentOS isn't Windows and I wouldn't want it to be. I
> would rather we try to educate users to the Linux way of doing things
> rather than turn Linux into a Windows clone. I guess I feel the same
> about documentation to an extent.

Ned and I have a very similar point of view here.

John's latest words:
> Idea: A separate Wiki for the new users. Don't have links on it pointing
> external sites of how tos. Just have all the basic how tos; Burning the
> centos cdrom in windows with a open source tool like Infra View, Nero,
> or Easy CD Creator. Using the network GUI Config Tool for Dial Up Access
> and DSL or Cable Internet and Local Intranet. How to add a user with the
> GUI tool. Thing of this sort is like putting the iceing on the cake and
> keeping them and not letting them stay to another Distro.

Ned, do I hear someone volunteering to write a new Wiki section? (I don't
think a *separate* Wiki for the new users, be they M$ Windoze departees or
not, is a good idea.) Perhaps this discussion should be continued on the
CentOS-docs list?

Alan.