[CentOS] DKMS

Sat Apr 5 17:53:02 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 12:35 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> John wrote:
> >>
> > Idea: A separate Wiki for the new users. Don't have links on it pointing
> > external sites of how tos. Just have all the basic how tos; Burning the
> > centos cdrom in windows with a open source tool like Infra View, Nero,
> > or Easy CD Creator. Using the network GUI Config Tool for Dial Up Access
> > and DSL or Cable Internet and Local Intranet. How to add a user with the
> > GUI tool. Thing of this sort is like putting the iceing on the cake and
> > keeping them and not letting them stay to another Distro.
>
> Better yet, show how to do the same thing with 10 screenshots of
> mouseclicks and dialog boxes with the GUI or with a couple of command
> lines that they can paste from the tutorial into a command window.
>
> As soon as someone has to do it more than once, they'll start to
> appreciate the 2nd way.

No they will just give up on CentOS and go else where. If, (a big if) I
were the Cent OS project Leader my biggest goal would be to attract the
biggest user base possible. I'm sure he's trying the best he can now. (A
Good Reason it is still around). Usability is everything. The is more
than one way to skin a cat yes in deed.

In theory the known GUIs that work, the configuration should only have
to be done once and not a second time. Maybe I need to create GUI
Frontends that just plain out work.
As a side, note I do understand some things in Linux is not for the
Faint at Heart.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079