[CentOS] CentOS 5.2

Sat Apr 5 19:44:25 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Michael A. Peters wrote:

>>> If I read correctly - the 5.2 release will have xen 3.0
>>>
>>> Does that mean I will be able to run vista as guest operating system?
>>> I seem to remember reading that vista could be run under xen 3.0
>>>
>>> I have found instructions for installing XP under xen 3.0 in Debian,
>>> so I'm hoping it vista on CentOS 5.2 will also be possible ??
>>>
>>> There's only a small handful of apps I need/want - but they don't do
>>> well under wine (IE garmin software for putting maps on my GPS) - and
>>> I don't want to dual boot.
>>
>> Why not use vmware or virtualbox? Either would work fine. You would need
>> to do an install of Windows anyway into the virtual machine, right?
>>

> vmware is an option but I've seen a lot of issues where kernel updates
> break it and you have to keep running an older kernel until a fix is
> issued.

That happens in fedora.  In centos 4, new kernels work automatically
since the vmware product includes a pre-compiled module.  In centos 5
you just have to recompile the module after a kernel update (or you
probably could move the old one to the right place since the interface
isn't supposed to change).  The vmware-config.pl script will do this for
you and it always works.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com