[CentOS] DKMS

Sat Apr 5 20:52:03 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 15:12 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> the current settings so you only have to change a few particular items,
> >> and they can check the ranges and syntax of the entries before trying to
> >> apply them.  Webmin does a fair job on this considering the wild
> >> variation in the applications it offers to manage, but you still have to
> >> generally understand what the application does and what the options mean
> >> in order to use it.  A task-oriented tutorial using webmin might get
> >> people through some operations where they'd have trouble with man pages.
> >
> > Case in Point Here Now: My sister has been using Linux for a year now. I
> > can see her now when I tell her to install Webmin, Open a Browser and
> > type http://localhost:port_number.
>
> There's an rpm for the webmin package (somewhere...) and you can
> bookmark the browser link.  The remaining problem is that all it really
> can do is help you get the syntax right.

Well that's a women for you though. Now I just started an argument. But
wait that is only just One not all of you women.

> > Now that's getting into Admin
> > territory not the user base. Although that's a better idea than most
> > would concieve of.
>
> The issue that isn't going to go away even if you try to cover it up is
> that you have the full range of administrative decisions and commands at
> your disposal and, depending on what you want to change, you may need
> them.

But 75% don't know how to. All they know is they downloaded the cds.
Took them a week to figure out how to make a bootable install disk. Then
finally 24 hours to install the OS. Six hours to get on the Internet.
Another 5 hours to setup email.

Email is a good one  "Evolution" I can devote time to that also.
Configuration with something like GMail.

> > When she needs something done that does not have a GUI or Pictorial
> > directions it's like me baby sitting my son hand in hand.
>
> The first question is what a new user needs that isn't done by default
> and fix it so it doesn't need to be done at all.  The only problematic
> parts are the ones that need questionably legal components (mutimedia
> codecs, etc.).

Would be nice to have a Multimedia Install Disk??? But then there's all
the Legal questions

> > Having things
> > of this nature is saying CentOS is Competent Enough to stand on its' own
> > two feet and not rely on the outside world for how to do something.
>
> But, is the 'something' you want to do more like picking out a cold
> remedy from the corner drugstore or doing major surgery.  You have the
> full range of tools for both, but some details need a little more
> thought than others.

I'll send a mail to the Docs List for discussion of a few.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079