[CentOS] Apache Authorization Access Control - location of htpasswd in Centos 5.1?

Sun Apr 6 22:04:38 UTC 2008
mouss <mouss at netoyen.net>

Pam Astor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to set up a private family web site for genealogy, and want to set up Apache Authorization access control for this site, and once the user has logged in has access to the entire site.  I’ve been reading the info at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html to learn how to do this.  I’m just planning on passing out the same username and password to all family members and allow everyone in the family to use the same username and password, to keep things simple.  The server is running Centos 5.1.

Is there any reason not to give each user his own login:password? it
starts as "user friendly" and it ends up as a zombie...

> The first problem I am running into – I’m trying to use the htpasswd utility that came with Apache 2.2 to create a password file.  The default location according to above URL is in /usr/local/apache2/bin/htpasswd but apparently it’s not located there in my install.
>
> I tried creating a password file by executing htpasswd -c /passwd/passwords famsite but apparently htpasswd is not in my path, I’m getting the “cannot create file /passwd/passwords famsite” error.

you can have a lot of fun under unix. try these:

# cp /a/foo /b/bar

How about creating the directory?
# mkdir /passwd
# cd /passwd
# htpsswd -c passwords famsite

that said, /passwd is a bad choice. /etc/httpd/security is better.

> Anyone know where the default location of htpasswd is on a centos 5.1 install?  Or how to generate a password file on a centos 5.1 install?

you can generate whatever file you want, as long as you stop trying to
create files inside directories that don't exist.