[CentOS] MS Exchange Replacement

Mon Apr 7 12:51:39 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Simon Jolle wrote:
> 2008/4/7, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com>:
>> Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>>> What is the closest open source mail server I can replace exchange with
>>> that provides the nearest equivalent in user experience?
>
>>  What about Zimbra or Scallix?
>
> Both not Open Source
> Scalix uses Scalix Public License (SPL) and Zimbra uses Yahoo Public
> License (YPL) - both crap licenses and not OSI approved.

Well, the first part of your statement is debatable (that they are not
"Open Source"), but the second part is fact .. they do not use OSI
approved licenses.  So, if your definition of "Open Source" is an OSI
approved license, then they are not open source.

What's more, in all of these cases full outlook capability is not
provided in the "Free" version anyway.

Outlook calender/meeting functionality requires (in almost all the
solutions) a really non open source (proprietary and not compilable)
program to make use of the proprietary outlook/exchange interface called
MAPI.  Most of the free versions of these mail systems use IMAP, with
will not properly be used by outlook to do calander functions ... and
they charge for the  outlook MAPI client, which will allow for outlook
calender/meeting functions.