[CentOS] aide questions, please

Thu Apr 10 12:51:02 UTC 2008
Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>

Michael Simpson wrote:
> On 4/9/08, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
>
>> Jim Perrin wrote:

>>> Hmm, I don't ever really turn selinux off, but I had always thought
>>> aide treated it as optional.
>>>
>>> Could test by setting it to permissive and trying again. This would be
>>> interesting to test.
>>>

>> I'm not sure if a reboot is required or not. I set permissive in the config
>> file and echoed 1 into /selinux/enforce and then tried firstly the --check,
>> and then an --init. Both still show the faulty lines.
>>
>> I will set it up properly and do a reboot tomorrow to see if it changes
>> things, but for now, it doesn't.
>>
>> steve
>>
> Hi there
>
> It is probably worth doing "touch /.autorelabel" before the reboot as
> nothing will have really changed with the above actions
>
> this will force relabelling of your fs after the reboot and may give
> you the context info that you require
>
> mike

Thanks Mike,

I'm not sure I can do the reboot today as I have had to put the server
into a temporary production status.

The thing that is sort of bothering me, though, is that so much trouble
occurs because of selinux when trying to use aide RPMs. Might I not try
and generate my own rpms without selinux support or just compile from
source? Is there a way I can disable the selinux stuff when using the
Centos rpms? I'm still not hearing a definitive answer that selinux is
the culprit here and modifying filesystems for a test  is a little extreme.

I appreciate the help so far, though, and don't mean to sound ungrateful.

steve