[CentOS] question on RAID performance

Fri Apr 11 03:06:58 UTC 2008
John J. Lee <jjlee at lbl.gov>

If you want to higher R/W performance, you should go for raid0.
raid0 fragments the data into the number of disks and distributes them.
It gains a big performance.  One drive fails, however, all data gone.
raid5's benefit is not the speed but the effective space usage with
the least data redundancy.
Bitwise parity calculation consumes lots of processing power.  So
raid5 is the least choice in terms of performance.

-john