[CentOS] Interface bonding?

Fri Apr 11 17:43:41 UTC 2008
Guy Boisvert <boisvert.guy at videotron.ca>

Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 11:24 +0100, Michael Simpson wrote:
>> Certainly the 2900 will support 802.3ad or LACP natively.
>>
>> i found this which may be of use
>>
>> <http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Cisco+Systems+IOS-based+switches-+interface+bonding+and+trunking?t=anon>
>
> So, as it turns out, it's a 2900XL, which does not support 802.3ad or
> LACP at all, just a proprietary port channeling for switch interconnect
> as far as I can tell.
>
> I suppose that leaves me with just using pure software (for now, I have
> an 8 port Intel Pro 100 at home that I'll look at...), but I'm unable to
> get the increased throughput using mode=0.  I did notice, however, while
> I was on the switch console it kept complaining about the interfaces
> flapping and re-learning addresses.  My network guy here at work said
> that it was bad and either the switch or the bond(s) is misconfigured
> somewhere.  Any hints as to where and or what kinds of things I should
> be looking at?
>

> --Tim

Hi!

LACP is a part of 802.3ad.

Cisco 2900XL supports 802.1Q, ISL, EtherChannel, LACP, etc.  Depending
on the age of the switch and the version and category of IOS used, the
LACP support may be there.  Cisco has many IOS versions for the hardware
you have.

As for protocols support, it's hard to beat Cisco.

You may have a look at:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/140.pdf
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_configuration_example09186a0080094789.shtml

Hope this helped!