[CentOS] Mail problems? Need help finding this process!

Fri Apr 11 19:06:13 UTC 2008
Milton Calnek <milton at calnek.com>

Keith Christian wrote:
> --- Glenn <centos at 1bigadmin.biz> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I can't get this one figured out. The few search hits I get on it
>> suggest it is mail-related, but I don't even know how that was determined.
>>
>> Apr 11 12:18:17 mxt root: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 255
>> with signal 0
>>
>> I get one of these per minute. I can't seem to tweak for more verbosity.
>>
>> Could someone tell me what is going on or point me to a place to
>> start troubleshooting this?
>> Thanks,
>> Glenn
>

> When the mxt process appears in ps aux or ps -ef, quickly note the PID
> (suppose it's 6789) and attach to the process with strace:
>
>     strace -p 6789

I'm pretty sure mxt is Glenn's host name... so you won't find it in ps.

Something is starting a process aprox 1/min, or the process runs for aprox 1 min
before it is restarted.

Check /var/log/cron to see if there's something running there.
What's in your /etc/inittab?
Also, try ps -ef to find new processes.  You may have to do this more than once.

--
Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
milton at calnek.com
306-717-8737