[CentOS] Interface bonding?

Sat Apr 12 01:11:37 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 19:51 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> >> Trunking has to do with carrying multiple tagged vlans on one port - and
> >> the 2900xl with a 12.x IOS should do that in either ISL (cisco) or dot1q
> >>   mode.  But I thought we were grouping ports instead.  You should be
> >> able to do both, but the interfaces in the same port group would have to
> >> have the same trunk encapsulation set.  There is a separate 'vlan
> >> database' command on those switches where you have to add the vlan
> >> numbers that you want a trunk to carry - and it doesn't get saved in the
> >> visible config file.  If you have 'switchport access vlan nnn' on any
> >> interface that number goes in the vlan database automatically but you
> >> just want the trunk ports to pass some other vlans through you have to
> >> add them explicitly.
> > '
> > Ok, if I am reading your reply right VLAN configs are so to say saved in
> > the switch instead of the config file correct? So a config file never
> > contains the VLAN info. Just wondering any way to copy or backup the
> > VLAN Database? There has to be shouldn't. Been 4 years or more since
> > I've touched one. Guess I need to get the newest emulator software Cisco
> > has.
>
> Actually it is more complicated that that - the switches have a vtp
> master/slave concept to learn vlans but I've always turned it off
> because the switch with the latest change becomes the master so if
> someone swaps a switch from the lab into production it would probably
> break everything in sight.  As far as backing it up goes, I just keep a
> text file that goes:
> vlan database
> vlan nnn
> vlan nnn
> etc.
> exit
> to paste into a new or moved switch.  But I think the new models do
> something different.

So he could take a preconfigured configuration of the port config and
the vlan and copy it to the VLAN Database to use it. That is the way I
always done the configuration if I had acess to a tftp server. Of course
to do that now for as command wise I've no clue for the vlan database/

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079