[CentOS] Installing Centos 5 on HP DL140 G3

Tue Apr 15 03:26:59 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 23:33 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> I want to install CentOS 5.1 with hardware RAID on an HP DL140 G3 server
> that I have here for testing. It prompts me for a storage controller.

Check your BIOS Settings for the controller. May be that it needs to set
to "Mass Storage" if available in the HP Bios. I am not a die hard HP
person so check the settings available. I know for a fact this is a
problem with other manufactures.

Maybe there is a HP Guy or Gal in here some where that can elaborate
some more on this for you.....

> According to this readme page for the latest driver at
> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-linux/p1463703615/v44436/mpt
> linux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd.gz.txt
> CentOS 5 should already contain a "default driver version contained in the
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 installation CD"

Then again the MPT Drivers for that controller may have been dropped for
that controller. I do know several have been "End of Lifed" I know this
to be true for other high end server manufactures. Support for them
ended in RHEL 4. So that would = CentOS 4 as well.

> I would rather like to use that than go the complicated route of providing
> the latest HP driver. That "HP Internal Port SAS/SATA HBA with RAID"
> actually is a RAID controller from LSILogic and I tried to load all four
> LSILogic drivers provided on the driver list, but none is accepted.

See bios explaination above.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079