[CentOS] Installing Centos 5 on HP DL140 G3

Tue Apr 15 16:43:03 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 14:46 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> [...]
> fakeRAID controller for the mainboard built-in SATA ports. I switched that off.
> I also switched SATA ports off now. There's nothing else in the BIOS I could
> try I think. There's also nothing in the controller's BIOS that seems to be
> fitting this description, the only hardware-related thing I can change there,
> is a hook interrupt or what they call it. I didn't dare to change that yet.
>
> > > According to this readme page for the latest driver at
> > > ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-linux/p1463703615/v44436/mpt
> > > linux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd.gz.txt
> > > CentOS 5 should already contain a "default driver version contained in the
> > > Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 installation CD"
> >
> > Then again the MPT Drivers for that controller may have been dropped for
> > that controller.
>
> Well, I was going by their description which says that RHEL 5 comes with these
> drivers. Of course, that could still be wrong ...
>
> I do know several have been "End of Lifed" I know this
> > to be true for other high end server manufactures. Support for them
> > ended in RHEL 4. So that would = CentOS 4 as well.
>
> It seems that RHEL 4 did not have the drivers on board. Their software
> configuration guide mentions that you need to install a driver (if I recall
> right). Unfortunately, the guide wasn't updated for RHEL, although they say
> they support RHEL 5 and 5.1 on this machine.
>
> Maybe I actually hit a different problem than I think. This is the first time
> that I need to install an extra driver for installation or use an external HBA
> SAS/SATA adapter. Some more information:
>
> During inital anaconda setup I can see that various mpt drivers get installed.
> It's too fast output at this time to read well thru ALT F3/F4, but it looks
> like the controller and SATA drives are found and handled under /dev/sda with
> no error. The drivers loaded are mtpbase, mptscsih, mptsas and
> scsi_transport_sas.
> After choosing eth0 as install source and retrieving the kickstart file setup
> asks me "unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation
> type. Would you like to manually select your driver or sue a driver disk". The
> "manual" selection gives me a list of storage drivers.
> I then tried to use the driver given by HP which is a dd file and install it
> from a USB stick. I can select /dev/sdb1 and it shows the .dd files as the only
> one available. When I choose this it tells me "no devices of the appropriate
> type were found on the driver disk". At the same time ALT+F4 shows "unable to
> identify CD-ROM format" and F3 a line "modules to insert" that is empty. The dd
> file is a 1.440 floppy image it seems. Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> In case that matters: of course, I already set up the two drives in the LSI SAS
> utility for a RAID1 configuration and it shows them now as "LSILogicLogical
> Volume 3000" which seems to be quite ok to me.
>
> I'd appreciate any insight you might have. I'm going to try out their forums

****See here there is a reason I said type{linuxdd} and USE A FLOPPY. A
usb stick is not going to do the job. I don't think you read the README!
****

CREATING A DRIVER DISKETTE

MAKING A DISKETTE UNDER A LINUX-LIKE OS:

1)  Save the "mptlinux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd.gz" file into a temporary directory. Use GUNZIP to extract
"mptlinux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd" from this file into the same directory

2)  To make a diskette under Linux (or any other Linux-like operating system), you must have permission to write
to the device representing a 3.5-inch diskette drive (known as /dev/fd0 under Linux)

3)  First, label a blank, formatted diskette appropriately (ProLiant Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Driver Diskette). Insert the diskette
into the floppy drive, but DO NOT issue the mount command:

        # dd if=mptlinux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd  of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

4)  This command creates a diskette containing the image of the input file (if=mptlinux-4.00.13.01-2.rhel5.i686.dd) to an
output file (of=/dev/fd0) using the diskette size of 1440k (1.44MB).  To make another diskette label that diskette,
and run "dd" again, specifying the correct input file.

INSTALLATION

To install Linux using this "ProLiant Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5" Driver Diskette,
boot your Linux machine with your Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 CD1 in
your CD-ROM Drive.

A menu will be displayed, prompting for your input. Type the following
line of code to inform the operating system of the diskette:

# linux dd

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 will prompt for the ProLiant
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Driver Diskette during the installation procedure.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079