[CentOS] 12V computing?

Tue Apr 15 16:49:10 UTC 2008
Ben Gore <ben at cleocat.com>

We use 12 volt systems because we already have 12 volt power present for
other equipment in our applications. Previously, we used a UPS or
battery powered inverter system that ran on --- 12 volts. We decided to
"remove the middleman" so to speak. This gives us a number of battery
charging options and makes the whole system more efficient then
converting the power back and forth 2 or three times, besides saving to
cost and space of the additional equipment.

The Via boards and processors running CentOS have been reliable and draw
a reasonable amount of power for what they are doing. This may not be
the best solution for heavy-duty computing, but in our medium-duty
application which involves mostly system management and media conversion
using codecs they do just fine.

-Ben