[CentOS] Upstream vendor's diskless vs LTSP

Fri Apr 18 12:13:41 UTC 2008
Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at cbn.net.id>

On Friday 18 April 2008 17:12:02 John wrote:
> The netboot package for version 5 of CentOS/Red Hat is not included in
> either distro, because it is broken. Attempts to get to a working known
> state are not looking to good. If using it on CentOS/Red Hat version 4,
> it will work.

Luckily he still uses version 4.x

> Huge difference. Especially in the configuration files. DHCP.CONF is way
> different, as in you can add in options for each client. Version 4 of
> ltsp worked booting off of an ethetboot boot image, at least that is
> what worked for me. Had no PXE compliant NICs on the clients. Also in
> the client bits that get booted you have options to mount devices on the
> client machine. There's a configuration file for it. Like for instance
> you could specify to mount the scanner that is connected to the client.
> I have had no experiance in mounting devices like that with the netboot
> package. All you can do is try it and if don't work keep at it.

In my testing, it boots vmware PXE client ok.

> Both of the types in question export directories via NFS to the clients.
> Basically it just boils down to both of them doing the same deed, just a
> different type of setup situation.

I still have problem with user cannot logon from the diskless because the home
directory is read-only. It seems that I have to state that /home/user/ must
be writable in files.custom, still bumped though. Maybe my v4.2 has bugs on
it.

What makes me frustated is that searching 'diskless' in the vendor knowledge
base only returns 5 entries. Can you believe it?
http://linux2.arinet.org
19:13:03 up 30 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.