[CentOS] Another samba problem

Sat Apr 19 15:05:09 UTC 2008
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 15:46 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2008 14:40:36 Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 13:55 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > My server is CentOS with samba 3.0.25b.  One client box runs Mandriva
> > > 2007.1 with samba 3.0.24.  I can see the client box from the server, but
> > > the client box can't see the server.  It can see the laptop on the same
> > > lan, though.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions as to what I could check?  I know Craig said there had
> > > been some significant changes in recent versions.  Are any of those
> > > changes likely to have an impact on this?
> >
> > ----
> > are they on the same subnet?
> >
> > it almost sounds like firewall rules are in the way.
> >
> > Always check first from localhost and then from another machine...
> >
> > from localhost...
> >
> > smbclient -L localhost
> > smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME # which is the hostname unless you set
> > something
> >                          # different in smb.conf
> >
> > then from another computer...
> >
> > smbclient -L IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM
> > smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME
> >
> > if localhost & IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM work but NETBIOSNAME doesn't work,
> > you've got a problem with name resolution.
> >
> All four requested the user password, then returned a summary of the shares.
> The LAN name is correct.  The client in question, though, is names as master,
> which it shouldn't be.
----
LAN NAME? what's a LAN NAME?

There's a WORKGROUP concept in samba...

any machine on the subnet should give the same answer with the following
command...

nmblookup -M WORKGROUP # obviously substitute for the 'WORKGROUP'
whatever name
                       # you use for workgroup

This is a live broadcast poll of the subnet and reply should come from
the 'Browse Master' from the most recent 'election' - elections occur
every 15 minutes by design.

If you are getting different results from the same subnet on different
machines then, as I suggested on the thread on fedora-list, make sure
that all the Linux systems on the LAN set os level = 20 (the default)
except for the one you want to be the master where it's set to os level
= 65

Craig