[CentOS] Can't get .htaccess to work

Mon Apr 21 00:03:16 UTC 2008
Pam Astor <pamastor at hotmail.com>

> >> That you got a server error is good.> > > Here are the last two log file entries for that httpd request:> > you want to look in the *error* log if you look for errors!> > > > I could not access the site,> > which means exactly what? ;-)
> >
> > OK, starting from scratch this morning,
> > here is the .htaccess file I am using which is inside of the
> > /home/LinuxAccountName/www directory:
> >

> > <Directory "/home/LinuxAccountName/www">Options NoneAuthName "UserNameIUsedToCreatePasswordWith"AuthType BasicAuthUserFile /home/LinuxAccountName/.htpasswdRequire valid-user</Directory>
> > www above refers to the root or web directory - the lowest or first or base
> > directory that is web accessable.
> > And, this is the error I am getting from my httpd error log for this domain:
> >
> > [Sun Apr 20 07:47:40 2008] [alert] [client 75.46.110.14] /home/LinuxAccountName/.htaccess: <Directory not allowed here
>
> Remove the <Directory> tag.. a .htaccess file is placed inside a
> <Directory> tag for the folder it is in automatically..
>
> Consequentially, your .htaccess looks like this to apache:
> <Directory /home/user/www>
> 	<Directory /home/user/www>
> 	</Directory>
> </Directory>

Thanks,

OK I removed the directory tag & got a different error, now the contents of .htaccess file is this:

Options None
AuthName "UserNameCreatedFor.htpasswd"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/user/.htpasswd
Require valid-user

Error log for my request is here:

[Sun Apr 20 19:57:05 2008] [alert] [client 12.34.567.89] /home/user/www/.htaccess: Options not allowed here

And error I got in web browser is here:

Internal Server Error
to complete your request.