[CentOS] fdisk partition table plus sign

Mon Apr 21 16:06:06 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 16:31 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> What does the plus sign after the blocks value exactly mean in the fdisk
> output? Some research reveals that it indicates that not all the blocks
> are included in the fdisk value. But what does this exactly mean?

IIRC, it means that the partition did not start/end on a cylinder
boundary. I get these all the time when I manually configure partitions
to get every last block used (not since "large" drives were about
500MB).

As to loss, maybe yes. When you allocate using multipliers, (10GB,
100MB, etc.) the bytes per cylinder is used as a divisor. This *may*
leave some part of a cylinder unused at the end. With todays drive
sizes, even anal me doesn't worry about it anymore.

> Kai

HTH
--
Bill