[CentOS] Kickstart network settings problem

Tue Apr 22 14:42:02 UTC 2008
Marc-Andre Levesque <marc-andre.levesque at genizon.com>

By looking at what is described in the documentation from upstream, I do not believe this is possible.

First, network is an optional directive in the kickstart file. Moreover, it defaults to dynamic IP address (bootp or dhcp) over the eth0 device. If you wish to configure static IP, the documentation says that you have to provide all the required networking information in the kickstart file. So I believe you would have to fill in the whole kickstart line with its bootproto, ip, netmask, gateway, and nameserver values.

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Plant, Dean
Sent: April 22, 2008 10:29
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: RE: [CentOS] Kickstart network settings problem

James Pearson wrote:
> Plant, Dean wrote:
>> I would like one of my kickstart scripts to prompt for disk and
>> networking only. Commenting out the disk and network settings makes
>> the installer prompt for disk settings but not for network settings,
>> they default to DHCP. Any idea's how to fix this?
>
> I think you need to have the network settings defined - something
> like:
>
> network --bootproto static
>
> If you don't give it an IP address (with the --ip option), then it
> will prompt for it. This is what I do for NFS installs - as my
> netmask, gateway and nameserver addresses are static, I also give
> these on the network line.

Does not work, still defaults to DHCP with no prompt. Also if it makes
any difference im using v5.1.

I have tried with the 2 network lines shown below in the kickstart file,
with and without interactive variable. Still no network configuration
screen. :-(

Below is my test kickstart.

#platform=x86, AMD64, or Intel EM64T

# System authorization information
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5

# System bootloader configuration
bootloader --location=mbr --md5pass=apssword

# Reboot after installation
reboot

# Interactive
interactive

# Use graphical install
graphical

# Firewall configuration
firewall --disabled

# Run the Setup Agent on first boot
firstboot --disable

# System keyboard
keyboard uk

# Network settings

#network --bootproto=static --device=eth0 --gateway=192.168.10.1
--nameserver=192.168.10.1 --netmask=255.255.255.0 --onboot=on
network --bootproto=static

# System language
lang en_GB

# Installation logging level
# Use this to debug
logging --host=alogmachine.domain.co.uk --level=info

# Use network installation
url --url=http://amachine.domain.co.uk/5/en/os/i386/

# Root password
rootpw --iscrypted apassword

# SELinux configuration
selinux --disabled

# System timezone
timezone --isUtc Europe/London

# Install OS instead of upgrade
install

# XWindows configuration information
xconfig --depth=16 --resolution=1280x1024 --defaultdesktop=GNOME
--startxonboot