[CentOS] dying hd on live legacy system...

Fri Apr 25 20:06:11 UTC 2008
Jeff Larsen <jlar310 at gmail.com>

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Dan Halbert <halbert at everyzing.com> wrote:

> > > Install another drive (same size or larger), boot from CD in rescue
> > > mode and use the dd utility to copy the old drive image to the new
> > > disk (example: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb). However, the failing
> > > hardware could make this problematic. Then remove the dying disk and
> > > install the new disk on the cable where the old disk was so that the
> > > new disk is now /dev/hda.
> > >

> > Tried this, I should have been more clear above. When I access certain
> > sectors the machine reboots.
> >

>  Just to confirm: you mean the machine reboots even when this disk is not a
> system disk? Suppose you mount it readonly (maybe it's doing atime updates
> unsuccessfully?)?

Why mount it at all? Booting from CentOS CD in rescue mode gives you
the option of not mounting the existing CentOS installation. dd does
not need mounted file systems. With the exception of possible IDE
conroller issues, booting from CD and not mounting is as good as
putting the disk in another machine.

--
Jeff