[CentOS] NFS mount problems

Sat Apr 26 15:34:41 UTC 2008
Robert Spangler <mlists at zoominternet.net>

On Saturday 26 April 2008 10:19, Anne Wilson wrote:

>  On Saturday 26 April 2008 14:29, Robert Spangler wrote:
>  > >  > > This is a firewall issue.  If I turn off the firewall everything
>  > >  > > works. NFS and SMB are marked as trusted services, but it seems
>  > > that > > is not enough. Which ports need to be opened to use these
>  > > services? I > > googled and followed that advice, which didn't work,
>  > > so now I have to > > ask here.
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-March/msg02366.html
>  > >
>  > >  Hmmm - I had opened 111 and 4000-4004, but it seems that they may be
>  > > the wrong ones.  OTOH, this is a huge list.  Do I need all these open?
>  >
>  > First where are you trying to access this machine from?  Local LAN or
>  > the Internet?  If it is local LAN  then why not trust the machine that
>  > is trying to connect instread of opening  a bunch of ports?  That is how
>  > I do things at home.  Local machines are trusted so they can connect
>  > anytime on any port.
>
>  That would be a sensible solution, but how do you set that up?

Are you using some sort of GUI to control your firewall or are you editing the
firewall file by hand?

If you are using a GUI then check out how you can allow ip addresses.

If you are editing the firewall file by hand (how I do it) then just add the
add something like the following:

-A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Here is a great tutorial for IPTABLES

http://iptables.rlworkman.net/chunkyhtml/index.html

--

Regards