[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Sat Apr 26 15:57:25 UTC 2008
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Saturday 26 April 2008 16:35, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> Hello: The box is  dual boot (Win XP & CentOS 5). A Dell Dimension
> 4300 Celeron. There was an intermittent problem with this last year
> and last Thanksgiving, I wiped the HD and installed Win XP and CentOS
> 5 clean. My daughter asked me to install KStars which is in the kdeedu
> RPM on the Fedora Core 6 Install DVD. I did that, without any
> problems, on my box and on my wife's box. On the Dimension 4300, in
> Linux, the OS thinks the DVD ROM is empty. I suspect this is a HW
> problem, but: (a) Windows can see everything on the DVD, without any
> problem and (b) I can boot the Fedora Core 6 Install DVD, without any
> problem. If anyone on the ML has ideas about what might be wrong with
> the installation of the OS (I have GNOME and KDE installed and the
> problem is the same with either desktop) please give me your
> suggestions about how to get the DVD to mount properly. TIA!

The support page for the Dell Dimension 4300 is dated 2001.  If that's the
approximate age, it's quite possible that it doesn't read DVDs.  My Packard
Bell of similar age sometimes can read one, sometimes can't, but it's not
really supposed to, I think.

Anne