[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Mon Apr 28 03:22:19 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Anne Wilson
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:03 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

On Sunday 27 April 2008 13:38:50 Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 26 April 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Message: 11
> > Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:57:25 +0100
> > From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?
> > <snip>
> > The support page for the Dell Dimension 4300 is dated 2001.  If
> > that's the approximate age, it's quite possible that it doesn't read
DVDs.
> > My Packard Bell of similar age sometimes can read one, sometimes
> > can't, but it's not really supposed to, I think.
>
> Anne: This is something that worked fine, for several years. It was my
> box, before my daughter got it, and I used the DVD drive, without
> problems. That it works OK in MS Windows XP and that I can boot the
> box from the same DVD, without problems, has me leaning more toward a
> problem with CentOS 5 Mounting the DVD, in that box. If it is a HW
> problem, I would think the problem would also appear in Windows and
> when I boot from that DVD. However, that it works OK, in 2 other
> Desktops, would possibly indicate a HW problem in that box. TIA, Lanny

Hmm - do you have one of those disks with the micro-brushes that you use to
clean the lens of a DVD drive?  It could be nothing worse than that.  I
don't know what she used it for under XP, but if it was for reading
commercial disks they are undoubtably easier to read than home-burned ones,
and its possible that the linux driver is not as good either.  OTOH, it
could be something quite different :-)

Anne

Did you do a mount /dev/hdc /mnt/media?