[CentOS] sendmail and cups gets installed although not chosen in kickstart file

Mon Apr 28 21:12:48 UTC 2008
Jeff Larsen <jlar310 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> I setup a kickstart file that contains only @core and several packages
>  explicitely listed. postfix is listed, sendmail is not. And there's no
>  package where I would think it needs cups. Nevertheless, after the install
>  I now have postfix *and* sendmail on the machine and sendmail even being
>  enabled. And cups is installed.
>
>  How can I find out what forced them (and probably many other unwanted
>  packages) on the installation?
>  I thought maybe "rpm -q --whatrequires sendmail" would tell me, but it
>  doesn't. Nothing requires it. Same for cups. So, why did it get installed?

<assumption>
I would guess that sendmail is included in @core or something else is
that depends on a mail package. Just because you include postfix
later, you can't count on things included in @core that depend on a
mail program to know that postfix will eventually be there. I believe
sendmail is the default mail package when it comes to resolving
dependencies, unless postfix is already installed.
</assumption>

I have a work-in-progress kickstart config that attempts a more
minimal install than can be done from CD. The key is "--nobase". But
then many essential things must be explicitly installed. This gets me
postfix and no sendmail. YMMV.

%packages --nobase
bind-utils
coreutils