[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Tue Apr 29 17:27:46 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com>

On 29 April 2008, William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com  wrote:
> CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?
> William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
> Tue Apr 29 16:07:57 UTC 2008
<snip>
> > I suspect that somewhere in the auto mount process, it has a problem
> > with the HW for the DVD reader for my daughter's box and for the DVD
> > reader in Mike's HP box.
> >
> > When a DVD is inserted into the DVD reader, the DVD shows up on the
> > GNOME Desktop, but as if the media is empty.
>
> I don't know if y'all tried this, or if it will help, but in my
> grub.conf (menu.lst) I have this on the kernel line.
>
>      hdc=ide-cd
>
> Maybe it will help you?
Bill: I looked at the /etc/grub.conf file on my box and it does not have that included and it works fine here:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

I also looked at that file on the box with the problem and it doesn't have that included either. I may edit the file and see if including that cures the problem.
Currently updating several packages on the box with the problem, including autofs and hal.
If that does not help, I just began to think about updating the Kernel, hoping there might be better support for that DVD reader in a newer Kernel. But, I'm not sure
if the support for the HW is the problem.
I get the Digest version of this ML every morning, but I read your reply on the ML Archives.
Thank you! Lanny