[CentOS] Slightly OT: Extra icons on desktop

Tue Apr 29 19:25:43 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 11:34 -0700, MHR wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:11 AM, William L. Maltby
> > <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 16:03 -0700, MHR wrote:
> > >  >
> > >  > Must be something like that - if I su and umount it, both icons go
> > >  > away.  Then I 'mount -a' and only one comes back.  But if I log out
> > >  > and log back in, they both come back.  Must a new "feature" of gnome
> > >  > 2.20.0....
> > >
> > >  If *I* know about it, it *can't* be a *new* feature!  ;-)
> > >

> > Heh, heh - I meant "feature" as in the infamous Bill Gates interview
> > with the German technology magazine, wherein he claimed that Windows
> > has no bugs, only features that people do not understand. (You can't
> > make this stuff up....)
> >
> > The most interesting part to me is that the disk in question is a
> > fixed drive in the case.  On my CentOS boxes and laptops, these NEVER
> > show up on the desktop (why would they?), only the removable media.
>
> If it is truly a fixed drive, then I would suggest a look at the logs
> (dmesg and/or messages) to get it "identity" and then look at udev
> configuration scripts. IIUC, udev is assigned the task of identifying
> and classifying stuff correctly. Everything else at "higher" levels of
> abstraction would depend on those results.
>
> I did a locate on udev and some promising things popped up.
>
> /etc/udev
> /etc/sysconfig/modules/udev-stw.modules
> /etc/udev/devices
> /etc/udev/makedev.d
> /etc/udev/rules.d
> /etc/udev/udev.conf
>
> Plus there's a bunch of docs about it up in /usr/share/doc/udev-095,
> including overview and writing-udev-rules. "man -k udev" offers some
> potential help too.
>
> I hope there's an answer hidden in there somewhere.
>

> > Thanks, including for the chuckle.
>
> Chuckles are free, grins @ $0.01.

I believe the problem is simple really.

fstab has the device listed as LABEL=misc, and HAL reports it as /dev/sdX,
the Gnome file manager sees these as 2 separate devices and presents them
as such.

Find a way to have Gnome stop scanning the fstab file and have it rely
completely on HAL, or have HAL ignore all devices listed in fstab.

-Ross