[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Tue Apr 29 21:34:38 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 22:18 +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> [...]
>         >         brw------- 1 lanny disk    22,    0 Apr 29 12:30 hdc
>         >         [root at dell1602 ~]#
>

>         When I do that, I get nothing. But, this is promising (BTW, my
>         prev
>         ide-cd thingy was left over from another CentOS box. It's not
>         effective
>         on this one.).
>
>         ]# ls -l /dev|grep -i "dvd\|cd"
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdrom ->
>         hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdrom-hda
>         -> hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdrw ->
>         hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdrw-hda
>         -> hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 cdwriter
>         -> hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52
>         cdwriter-hda -> hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvd ->
>         hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvd-hda
>         -> hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvdrw ->
>         hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvdrw-hda
>         -> hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52 dvdwriter
>         -> hda
>         lrwxrwxrwx 1 root      root           3 Apr 26 17:52
>         dvdwriter-hda ->
>         hda
>
>         And
>
>         # ls -Ll /dev|grep -i "dvd\|cd"
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdrom
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdrom-hda
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdrw
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdrw-hda
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 cdwriter
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52
>         cdwriter-hda
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvd
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvd-hda
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvdrw
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvdrw-hda
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52 dvdwriter
>         brw------- 1 wild-bill disk     3,    0 Apr 26 17:52
>         dvdwriter-hda
>
>         I popped a CentOS DVD in, got one image on the desktop and one
>         mount
>         listed from the mount command and one nautilus box popped up..
>
>         I removed that and inserted a Mark Knopfler DVD and totem
>         automatically
>         popped up to do it's usual bitch about plugins.
>
>         Mount showed one on /media/SHANGRILA and desktop had one ICON
>         for it.
>
> So what does grep ^hda /var/log/dmesg tell you about your optical

]# grep hda /var/log/dmesg
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe600-0xe607, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
hda: LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hda: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(66)

> Being a Unix user of 25 years, I'm always a little suspicious of these
> new-fangled things like desktops. ;-)

Ditto. I started in '78. Only in the last few years have I decided that
I could see *some* justification for a GUI. Combined with a CLI, used
appropriately, one can be more efficient.

> However, if you're using Gnome then please have a look at System -->
> Preferences --> Removable Drives and Media

I just did that for another thread, as it happens.

The first three are checked (mount when hot-plugged, mount when
inserted, browse when inserted).

> I know that there is a difference in the automount of a data CD/DVD
> when the user is root (basically it doesn't, you would have to
> right-click on the icon and select mount manually) and when the user
> is a normal user (automount err automounts).
>

> Lanny or Bill - Sorry I'm loosing track. One of you has three boxes;
> in boxes #1 & #2 the drives behaves as you want, in box #3 the drive
> misbehaves. Have you tried the test of swapping the drives in - say -
> boxes #2 & #3 and seeing if the problem moves with the optical drive
> or stays with box, #3?

That was MHR (Mark) that that has the problem. Mine all work as
expected.

> The hd{a|b|c|d}=ide-cd kludge certainly isn't required with the CentOS
> 5 2.6.18-series kernels. I last came across it with a 2.4.8-* IIRC.

That was me that posted that. As I mentioned in another thread, that was
a leftover from another box (probably my 2.4 kernel LFS box and/or
CentOS 4.x box - I don't know if it's needed there anymore).

Last time I 'sperimented w/cdrtools, IIRC, I needed it to not have to
use the sg stuff.

Works good, not broken (yet), won't fix it!  8-)

> Just a few more of my thoughts, for now.
>
> Alan.
<snip sig stuff>

--
Bill