[CentOS] Slightly OT: Extra icons on desktop

Tue Apr 29 21:43:37 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 17:32 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 16:46 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > > William L. Maltby wrote:
> > > <snip>
> >
> > > I wonder if anyone can duplicate the problem by creating a partition
> > > and having it mounted in fstab by volume label and see if it appears
> > > twice.
> >
> > Not quite the same, but I've a USB drive that I plugged in after
> > removing "noauto" from the fstab entry.
> >
> > $ grep 4 /etc/fstab
> > LABEL=BkUp_4_5          /media/sdc1      ext2    defaults,noatime 0 0
>
> Hmmm, and if the mount point were outside of /media?

My suspicion is it won't matter. But Give me a couple and I'll try this
and the other suggestions below.

> > Got a nice little message telling me (in Gnome desktop) that I wasn't
> > priveleged to mount it. That's as I would expect since I was already
> > logged in at my desktop. Mount showed it mounted.
> >
> > $ mount
> > /dev/sdc1 on /media/sdc1 type ext2 (rw,noatime)
>
> Is that fixed or removable media?

It is an external. Got 2 at a deal from Tosh because I own one of their
nice 17" Satellites.

> > Now I'll reboot and see what happens.
> >
> > Rebooted. Prior to entering "telinit 5", did a "mount" and it was
> > mounted. After logging onto graphical desktop, one icon on
> > the desktop.
> > As expected.
> >
> > I'm led back to the conclusion that there is some oddity about the
> > device definitions on Mark's problematic unit.
>
> There could be, could you give it a try with another mount point
> outside of /media and with a fixed disk if it isn't already?

Will do. Give me a couple and I'll post again.

--
Bill