[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Wed Apr 30 00:03:46 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com>

On 29 April 2008, Alan Bartlett ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com  wrote:

> 2008/4/29 William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>:
>
> > On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 19:24 +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
<snip>

> > in >boxes #1 & #2 the drives behaves as you want, in box #3 the
> drive >misbehaves. Have you tried the test of swapping the drives in -
> say - boxes >#2 & #3 and seeing if the problem moves with the optical
> drive or stays with >box, #3?

OK. I am going to try to swap the DVD readers, between my box and my
daughters box, tomorrow morning, and see if the problem goes with the
DVD reader that is now in my daughters box, when I install it in my box,
or, if it persists in her box, with the DVD reader I now have in my box.

Also, our Desktop boxes all have GNOME and KDE installed on them.
The problem is *not* limited to GNOME. KDE also sees the DVD media as
blank, when the FC6 Install DVD is in the drive.