[CentOS] case insensitive file system

Wed Apr 30 15:12:09 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Ruslan Sivak wrote:
> Jim Perrin wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Ruslan Sivak <russ at vshift.com> wrote:
>> Does the entire filesystem need to be case insensitive, or is this a
>> web based product, where you can do some apache rewrite-fu to make
>> this work instead?
>>

> It is a web based product, but I'm not sure rewriterules would help.
> Lets say it's something like this
>
> http://www.domain.com/index.php?action=foo
>
> And inside index.php it does something like
>
> <? include($_GET['page'].".php") ?>
>
> This is a gross simplification, but it's my understanding that if the
> file was named 'foo.php' and someone typed in
>
> http://www.domain.com/index.php?action=Foo
>
> It would still work on windows, but not on linux because of case
> sensitivity.

How do the files get there?  I'd probably use a brute force approach
like lowercasing everything on the way in, or if case needs to be
preserved store the real files in one place but build a symlink tree
somewhere else of all-lowercase names pointing to the real file, then
lowercase the reference and access the name in the symlink directory.

If you absolutely have to do it through the filesystem, I think you
could samba-mount a directory (perhaps even shared from the same
machine) with the case insensitive option.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com