[CentOS] Re: case insensitive file system

Wed Apr 30 17:25:38 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 4-30-2008 7:07 AM Ruslan Sivak spake the following:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> Ruslan Sivak wrote:
>>> We have an application that was build on a windows platform that
>>> expects a case insensitive file system. Is there a way to set one up
>>> in CentOS? NTFS should work, I think, but I feel uneasy using that
>>> under Linux.
>>

>> NTFS is not whats case insensitive, its WINDOWS thats case insensitive.
>>
>> you'll need to fix that application to either use all monocase names
>> or to be self-consistent enough to run properly on a case sensitive
>> system.
>>

> I will look into fixing the application, but it may not be possible.
> There must be a filesystem that I can use.  Mac's have HFS+ which can be
> case insensitive.  Aren't Macs pretty much Linux?  Isn't there a similar
> filesystem availalbe for linux?  I wouldn't run the whole system on it,
> just the portion that hosts the app.
>
> Russ
I think that it is the OS that is case sensitive or not, not the filesystem.
Posix systems are case sensitive, and since Windows isn't a posix system it
doesn't have to be.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and