[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Wed Apr 30 20:03:27 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com>

On 29 April 2008, "John" <jses2 ATgmail.com> wrote
>Message: 42
> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:43:43 -0400

 >Well I seen a few post back today but can't tell from heads ot tails what's
 >what of it.
 > I seen where there was "Dell" in the command prompt machine name??

Yes. Dell Dimension 4300. My box is a Dell Dimension 2400.

 >By any chance is any type of Dell Virtual Media Drive Software installed on
 >the machine if it's a dell machine? It's a longshot guess if it is a dell it
 >may be causing you problems.

No. That's not installed. I wiped the hard drives last Thanksgiving
and probably that wasn't the first time, after receiving the machines.

 >Also please post you fstab and mtab files. It may be helpful in pointing out
> the problem. Also have you run yum update on the machine?

fstab:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

mtab:

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 / ext3 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda3 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

John: As I posted about one hour ago, today I moved the Teac DV-516D
DVD/CD reader to my box. Exactly the same problem there. I'm not sure
if the drive is sick (I think it is OK, but I will try, ASAP, to find
TEAC Diagnostics for it and run that) or if it is something in the
Kernel or elsewhere in CentOS 5 that does not support the Teac drive.

I have not run YUM update to update everything. Possibly I will do
that tonight and let it go all night.

Thank you! Lanny