[CentOS] Strange reboots

Fri Apr 11 14:39:38 UTC 2008
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:

> Linux wrote on Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:06:40 +0300:
>

>> > Every 59 minutes (maybe every hour) it reboots without any logs,
>> > without any traces and unfortunately with breaking software raid.
>> > After reboot dmesg does not have any strange entries.
>> >
>> > I double-checked crons, any strange services, nothing suspicious.
>>

> Disable cron and at completely for two hours or so and see what happens.
>

>> > guess reboot is cold reboot.
>>

> Guess? You would see that if you sit at the console. You do not see it
> shut down, just suddenly the BIOS screen? Then it's cold ...
>
> For what do you need that mem line for the kernel? Doesn't it recognize
> the RAM?
>
> Kai
Some interesting information would be:

as root: crontab -l

and the output from:

ls /etc/cron.hourly/

ls /var/spool/at/spool/

You might also try to keep top running when the system is due to
reboot.  If you're sshed in, the last update of top will be preserved at
least until the system is back up.

My old server led me on a wild goose chase when it rebooted whenever
backups ran.  Turned out that running amanda for backups was the
heaviest load the system saw so it aggravated a hardware problem (bad
capacitors).  Not saying that that's specifically what's going on for
your system but there are circumstances where software running causes a
load change that then triggers a hardware fault.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce