[CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

Tue Apr 29 16:18:05 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com>

On 28 April 2008, Mike Peterson" <mpeterson AT mail.charlesfurniture.com wrote:

>Message: 21
 >Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:27:44 -0500

>Subject: RE: [CentOS] DVD reader: Hardware problem or OS glitch?

 >I have yet to get a DVD to read in CentOS 5.
 >I can install from DVD and then reboot and then the DVD drive is no longer
 >accessible.
> It works with several live CD and DVD images with no problems however.
 >This is on an HP system.
 >I think it is an OS problem.

> I will test in some other systems and let you know my results.

Mike: I found a *very* recent thread in the web forum of centos.org
<http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=47249&topic_id=13912>

Alan Bartlett wrote to:
mkdir /mnt/cdrom  and then    mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Here's the FC6 Install DVD I want to install an RPM from:

[root at dell1602 ~]# dir /mnt/cdrom
eula.txt              RELEASE-NOTES-en_US.html   RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-rawhide
Fedora                repodata                   RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-test
fedora.css            RPM-GPG-KEY                RPM-GPG-KEY-rawhide
GPL                   RPM-GPG-KEY-beta           stylesheet-images
images                RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora         TRANS.TBL
isolinux              RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-extras
README-Accessibility  RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-legacy
[root at dell1602 ~]#

The contents of the DVD still do not show up if I open the Icon for it
on the GNOME Desktop or if I click on "Computer" and then open that
drive.  Doing that, the media still appears to be empty.

Like you, I am now 99.9% sure that this is not a HW problem.  I am
very puzzled, why this works, without any problems, on 2 of the 3
boxes I did clean installs on, last Thanksgiving weekend and not on
this box.  Lanny