[CentOS] Quation about CentOS 4 xenU kernel

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Fri Aug 1 14:29:46 UTC 2008

I converted a physical maschine running CentOS 4.6 to a Xen VM on a CentOS
5 host. Almost everything was running when I decided to rsync /lib and
/usr a while later in order to get updated files and get the one or two
non-working programs to work. There are differences because of the xenU
kernel I didn't think about. I forgot to exclude rpm database and
/lib/modules.
Because the synced rpm database doesn't include the xenU kernel anymore I
installed the latest one again. I got this warning:

WARNING: No module ata_piix found for kernel 2.6.9-67.0.22.ELxenU,
continuing anyway

Looking around I don't have this module for the old kernel (2.6.9-67)
either. But it's referenced in modprobe.conf. Nevertheless, I could boot
the VM. A locate shows this module in all non-xenU kernels under
/lib/modules, sometimes in a scsi, sometimes in an ata subdirectory. I
still have a backup of the old setup before the sync and this doesn't
contain ata_piix in /lib/modules/2.6.9-67.ELxenU/kernel/drivers/scsi
either. And no ata directory.

So, I'm a bit puzzled now. Do I need that module to boot a Xen VM? If not,
why is it modprobed? And why do I get this warning from the xenU kernel?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany