[CentOS] Lost Sound after Firefox crash

Fri Aug 1 20:55:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Ed Donahue <liberaled at gmail.com> wrote:
> My Firefox crashed and I lost sound, is there a way to release the lock
> Firefox had on sound when it crashed?
> I was streaming sirius radio at the time of the crash.
>
> Is there a daemon I can restart?  I could just reboot but I'm not windows
> admin :)
> I logged out of the GUI then back in, would restarting X clear it up?

Could be something with MPlayer or Gstreamer or one of the many other
packages for multimedia? We listen
to radio stations on streamaudio.com but haven't had this happen to
us. Did you run a check, to test the
sound on your box, to be sure you are still getting sound out of your
speakers/headphones? I don't
think there are any daemons involved here, but maybe something is
corrupted. Hopefully, someone more
knowledgeable will reply to you. Has Firefox crashed like that
previously, when you were doing the same
thing?