[CentOS] Questions on cpu frequency scaling AMD vs. Intel

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Sun Aug 3 12:31:19 UTC 2008

I've been playing and comparing frequency scaling between AMD and Intel
CPUs yesterday and there seem to be great differences between AMD and
Intel and some gotchas. This is all on CentOS 5.2 with latest Xen kernels
(which are supposed to be powersaving-enabled since 5.2).

AMD:
It seems once I get the AMD CPU to use the ondemand governor it works very
well and very efficiently. But this is not set by default, one has to set
ondemand explicitely in /etc/sysconfig/cpuspeed and run cpuspeed on
bootup. Otherwise it just knows about userspace and performance and
defaults to performance.

Intel:
On the other side ondemand is on for Intel CPUs automatically, but it
doesn't seem to work. No matter if I run cpuspeed or not the current
frequency is shown as 2000000. This is the scaling_min_freq for both CPUs
I checked. The scaling_max_freq is 2.333/2.5. One is a Xeon Dual Core, one
a Xeon Quad Core.

With "not seem to work" for Intel I mean it doesn't act on demand as it
should. I tested by gzipping and gunzipping a 4 GB image file. I used top
to observe CPU utilization. With a dual core the idle percentage stays
around 50% for a while and only goes below this threshold near the end of
the operation. I deduce that means that gzip can make use of only one core
and only when it comes to writing to disk or using other external tools it
can utilize more CPU power because that task is taken over to the other
core. Same observation with quad core (and 75%). There is no difference
between AMD and Intel in this respect, but the task seems to run a bit
more efficiently on an AMD CPU - e.g. it is able to max out idle at 0% at
least for short periods while this is almost impossible to observe with
the Intel CPUs. The timing also shows that the AMD is the fastest one.
(The AMD, a very new low voltage X2, also runs at 2500 max.)

My question: why don't the Intel CPUs don't scale up on demand? Could
there be a bug in the driver that it measures overall utilization (which
is at 50% most of the time) and not single core utilization, thus never
reaching the threshold for scaling up? up_threshold is at 80 for both
CPUs. (cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold)

I have a somewhat related question. That very new AMD CPU mentioned above
was not recognized by CentOS 5.2 and the current frequency was shown as
800000 (instead of 2500000), although it was running in full speed. The
latest kernel corrected this. It's still unknown, but the frequency is now
calculated correctly and thus frequency scaling works now (it didn't work
when it was miscalculating at 800000). On the other hand, I have an older
low-voltage AMD CPU (probably about 2 years on the market) that is
recognized as X2 3800+ but frequency scaling fails because it
miscalculates the current speed to 800 MHz as well. Is there anything I
can do about that? Where could I check whether this CPU should be
supported in full and frequency scaling working? (I'm not sure, but I
think it may have actually worked when it was running in a different
motherboard.)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany