[CentOS] Outbound connections not using primary eth0 IP

Neil Aggarwal

neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Mon Aug 4 17:00:35 UTC 2008

Hello:

I have a machine running CentOS 5.2

I added two IP addresses to eth0 by copying
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1

and changing the relevant IP info.

I am now seeing outbound connections
failing at my firewall from services like NTP, etc.
since they are now using a source address
from one of the added IP addresses instead of the
original eth0 IP which is allow through the firewall.

I don't want to have to keep maintaining 3 copies
of each firewall rule to accommodate the new IP
addresses.

Is there a way to tell the machine to use
the eth0 IP address as the source address for
connections?

Here is the original ifcfg-eth0 file:

# nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=206.123.70.63
HWADDR=00:30:48:7A:B4:FE
IPADDR=206.123.70.50
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
NETWORK=206.123.70.48
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=206.123.70.49
TYPE=Ethernet

Here is ifcfg-eth0:0
# nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=72.249.130.47
HWADDR=00:30:48:7A:B4:FE
IPADDR=72.249.130.42
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
NETWORK=72.249.130.40
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=72.249.130.41
TYPE=Ethernet

Here is ifcfg-eth0:1
# nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=72.249.130.47
HWADDR=00:30:48:7A:B4:FE
IPADDR=72.249.130.43
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
NETWORK=72.249.130.40
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=72.249.130.41
TYPE=Ethernet

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,
  Neil

Eliminate junk email and reclaim your inbox.
Visit http://www.spammilter.com for details.