[CentOS] Yum

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 02:07:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Chris Brentano
<chris.brentano at jivesoftware.com> wrote:
> Hmm, it should be there no matter what, even if you deselect all the package
> groups on install. Should be at /usr/bin/yum.

You'd think that, however there seems to be a growing (or at least
their users are complaining more vocally on irc) number of VPS
providers using a very stripped down version of centos. They ship it
without yum, which would imply that folks are not able to get basic
security updates via the normal route (if at all).

While I could possibly see excluding the kernel and maybe a few other
packages since it runs a custom built openvz kernel, the entire
removal of yum is extreme, and seems very careless of these VPS
providers.

George Orwell