[CentOS] OT: Digital Video Editor for CentOS 5.2 - Suggestions?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Aug 6 04:05:09 UTC 2008

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> I will need to buy a PCI card for Firewire and put it into one of our
> Desktop boxes.. Probably my wife's, because it has the biggest HD. If
> it doesn't work on CentOS 5.2, we will need to use M$ Windows.

good news is, firewire cards are quite cheap.   note that DV uses
firewire 100, which is compatible with 100-400 but NOT 800 (sigh).  so
don't get a card  which has only firewire 800 ports.   also, you'll need
a 1394 cable that has the standard firewire 100-400 connector on one end
and the little tiny camcorder connector on the other (this is similar to
but VERY DIFFERENT than the miniUSB connector)

bad news is, you really should have a separate drive just for video
capture to reduce disk contention as the streaming rate of the capture
can't be interrupted.   its only around 3MB/sec, so its not /that/  bad
with today's faster drives, but still.