[CentOS] I'm Stuck

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Aug 6 18:34:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 20:03 +0200, Michel van Deventer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 11:36 -0500, Bob Smither wrote:
> > Dear List,
> >
> > I have an older Sony Vaio that I would like to install CentOS on.  The
> > unit has a USB CD that can _not_ be used as a boot device (the Sony one
> > could, but mine is an aftermarket CD and can't be used to boot).  It
> > does have a floppy drive that it can boot from.

I think someone mentioned a floppy. Last I checked, the ISO image had
some sub-directories that contained floppy images. If they're still
included, you should be able to make a bootable floppy and then use the
USB CD as the install media. Or get the image from a network location
(IIRC).

> > The only network install method for CentOS that I can find uses a CD,
> > not a floppy.

Give the floppy method a try. If it let's you get either the CD or to a
network, you should be able to install.

> > Is there anyway to get CentOS on this machine?
> Can you boot from USB stick? You then could use the Live CD, converted
> to USB or use another bootable linux on it. As long as you have a
> bootable partition where you can put a vmlinuz, initrd.img and grub,
> you're in business.
>
> 	regards,
>
> 	Michel
> <snip sig stuff>