[CentOS] Re: OT: Digital Video Editor for CentOS 5.2 - Suggestions?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Aug 6 19:08:39 UTC 2008

on 8-6-2008 11:33 AM Akemi Yagi spake the following:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Florin Andrei <florin-Gi6/mztQvpj4H+XZpSEoPA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>> I almost forgot to tell you that firewire support is disabled in the
>>> distro kernel.  This is upstream's decision.
>> wow :-(
>>
>> Why did they do that?
>
> Well, this is just my guess -- enterprise class Linux is (used to be)
> primarily for servers and therefore there is not much demand for
> things like firewire and wireless and...
>
> The situation *might* change if/when upstream start pushing toward the
> desktop world.
>
> Akemi
I also believe there are firewire exploits that can allow unauth. access since
firewire has direct DMA access. But that may or may not be upstreams
motivation. It could be as simple as they didn't want to support it.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and