[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 - Nautilus - file types are not associated with an action and icons are not displayed

Vaclav Mocek

little.owl at email.cz
Thu Aug 7 22:51:17 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I use CentOS 5.2 as a desktop and the Gnome Nautilus doesn't display
icons related to the file types and all associated actions ("open with")
are lost. It is so bad, that the desktop shortcuts are displayed as
ordinary files "Filesystem.desktop" or
"openoffice.org-1.9-calc.desktop", and when I click on them, the
Nautilus wants to know what it should do with these files.

The problem emerged after I installed the  new kernel
(2.6.18-92.1.10.el5) and  uninstalled packages "joystick", "slrn" and
"planner".  All user accounts have the same problem, when I run the
Nautilus as root (sudo nautilus), it works fine => probably some access
restrictions.

I run the Nautilus with strace, but the output is too messy to provide
some sensible information. Any hint what to do is welcomed.

Best  Regards

Vaclav