[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 -- how do I choose a wireless network?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Aug 8 13:05:23 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
>> Any suggestions on how to make this work under CentOS?   I'd prefer to
>> have CentOS on my laptop, to keep it the same OS as our servers.    I
>> don't want to learn two flavors of Linux...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -at
>
> It normally just works on most wireless cards (centos in general, not
> necessarily the live CD).
>
> I will burn and boot the live CD on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop and see
> how NetworkManager works here and get back to you.

Just for the record, the LiveCD does not work with my Inspiron 6000 at
all (some IDE/SATA issues when running the live CD) ... but this laptop
works fine with a real install of CentOS-5.2.  So, for most machines a
working Live CD means CentOS should work, but not on all.
Unfortunately, I can not test how NetworkManager works with this machine.

If you are installing your laptop from scratch, then I would recommend
that you try installing CentOS-5.2 and see what happens.

Also, you can look in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf to see if CentOS sees the
wireless NIC as a network card and what driver it is trying to use ...
or if you need something like external firmware, etc.