[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 -- how do I choose a wireless network?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Aug 8 13:19:03 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have had a terrible time with NetworkManager.....
>
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
>>> Any suggestions on how to make this work under CentOS?   I'd prefer to
>>> have CentOS on my laptop, to keep it the same OS as our servers.    I
>>> don't want to learn two flavors of Linux...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -at
>>
>> It normally just works on most wireless cards (centos in general, not
>> necessarily the live CD).
>>
>> I will burn and boot the live CD on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop and
>> see how NetworkManager works here and get back to you.
>>
>> What kind of laptop is it?
> I have pretty much given up on NetworkManager.  I try it time to time
> after a clean boot, but most of the time, it will just NOT connect.
>
> I am an 'old had' at modifying /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf,
> and I have simple scripts (for themost part) to run things.  I have a
> script called wlan:
>
> ifconfig eth1 up
> /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant -B -dd -K -D wext -i eth1 -c
> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>

> That works well with the Intel card in my HP nc2400.  The ifcfg-eth1 is
> fairly simple:
>
> TYPE=Wireless
> DEVICE=eth1
> HWADDR=00:1b:77:43:09:78
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> NETMASK=
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=nc2400.htt-consult.com
> IPADDR=
> DOMAIN=
> ONBOOT=no
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=yes
>
> I do find that the BOOTPROTO=dhcp does not 'work' and I have to run
> dhclient eth1 to get a lease.
>
> If I get into a new area (did that a LOT these past couple weeks), I run
> /usr/sbin/wpa_cli and do a scan and scan_results to get the SSID, edit
> the wpa_supplicant.conf file, the a reconfigure within wpa_cli.
>
> All works; all manual.  But I clean everything out and NetworkManager
> just does not seem to work for me.....

That is certainly likely ... The state of wireless cards and firmware on
Linux is not yet wonderful, some wireless devices work great others do not.

I have a Intel 2200 device (Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Network Connection) ... and it uses the ipw2200 driver.  Other than the
fact that I had to get the latest firmware from Dag's repo, it works fine.

I would certainly recommend trying NetworkManager first and if it does
not work, then going the other route.

I was able to use the wpa_supplicant and its conf file to make this work
too, but it was much harder and NetworkManager is great everywhere I go
to get connected ... of course YMMV :-D.