[CentOS] vncserver on IPv6

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Aug 12 14:57:04 UTC 2008

Rob Lockhart wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Robert Moskowitz
> <rgm at htt-consult.com <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>> wrote:
>

>         On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Robert Moskowitz
>         <rgm at htt-consult.com <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>
>         <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>>> wrote:
>
>            http://www.realvnc.com/products/enterprise/4.1/ipv6.html
>

>              IPv6 support in VNC Server E4.1.7/P4.1.2
>
>            VNC Server E4.1.7 & P4.1.2 are fully IPv6-aware, but is shipped
>            with IPv6 support disabled by default, for security
>         reasons. IPv6
>            can be enabled by setting "InTransports=IPv6,IPv4" (the default
>            being IPv4 only), either on the command-line when starting
>            vncserver under Unix
>
>            Ok.  we have vnc-server-4.1.2-9.el5.i386.rpm, so it SHOULD
>         support
>            IPv6.
>
>            Don't know how to add a setting to the command-line, as I rund
>            VNCserver via the service command, but I added it to
>            /etc/sysconfig/vncservers:
>
>            InTransports="IPv6"   (note I also tried without the quotes)
>
>            and netstat -na|grep 5902
>
>            shows vncserver only running on IPv4 and I can only connect
>         to it
>            via IPv4.
>
>            So what am I missing?????
>

>     Rob Lockhart wrote:
>
>         In /etc/sysconfig/vncservers I have something like this:
>
>         VNCSERVERS="1:myusername"
>         VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1400x1050 -depth 16 -localhost"
>
>         (so I can only use localhost, which means I only allow
>         connections over ssh or from the local machine).
>
>         Yours might be something like this:
>
>         VNCSERVERS="1:robert"
>         VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1400x1050 -depth 16
>         InTransports=IPv6,IPv4"
>

>     Well first my line has [2].  I changed that to [1] and tried all
>     sorts of variants to the above, including putting a - infront of
>     InTransports (like other options), and replacing the = with a
>     space.  No listening on IPv6.
>
>     I have foudn the RealVNC support mailing list and sent a question
>     there, hopefully to get answers.  But if anyone has anything to
>     suggest here, please do.
>

> Robert,
>
> I recently reinstalled VNC - actually "TightVNC" as it's better than
> VNC for bandwidth.  If you type "Xvnc -h" you'll see all the
> parameters supported.  I didn't see any options for IPv6 in my
> version.  But yours might indeed have more options.
Using this method, I don't either, though the help is -help, not -h, but
there is -multicast for IPv6 multicast for XDMCP

> I noticed that the default /etc/init.d/vncserver script seemed to be
> ignoring my parameters for VNCSERVERARGS as in the log file, it showed
> listening for all hosts (not just local hosts).  This was confirmed by
> connecting directly from another machine to the VNC server port (:1
> which is port 5901).  I had an older version of the vncserver script,
> and I overwrote the one from the repository with that one, and it took
> my parameters.  However, the parameters I can confirm are working
> are:  "-nolisten tcp -localhost -desktop RobHome -geometry 1280x1024".
>
> First, verify via "Xvnc -h" that the parmeters for IPv6 are supported
> (InTransports).
BTW, I note in the -help messages that parameters are case insensitive.
Or that is the claim.
>   Next, could it be possible the ip6tables is blocking you?  My
> network doesn't use IPv6 so I don't think I could retrace your steps.
No.  Port 5902 is specifically accepted in both iptables and ip6tables.
And I have tested this using another app that I have bound to that port
(but is not running when I try out vncserver).

And no answer on the vnc support list....