[CentOS] Mirroring Hard Drive

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 12 16:27:08 UTC 2008

Robert wrote:

> Paul R. Ganci wrote:

>>> How do you do that?
>>>
>> Detailed step by step instructions easily modified for CentOS:
>>
>> http://www.howtoforge.com/software-raid1-grub-boot-debian-etch
>>
>> I haven't tried this myself ... yet but plan on it in the next few
>> weeks.
>>
> I haven't tried it either...yet... but there is also a version of the
> HOWTO for Fedora 8, which might require less interpolation.
> http://www.howtoforge.com/software-raid1-grub-boot-fedora-8
>
> Thanks for the URL
I should have had the common decency to report that I *did* try this
howto and *was* successful. There were a couple things that caused some
head-scratching.

1. I read somewhere that it's safest to resize the filesystems on the
existing drive before doing anything else, to allow for a 4K superblock
beginning on a 64k boundary at the end of the partition. I did that.
(Straightforward instructions at
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-April/063687.html)

2. In part 2, page 7, there is a step "Next replace LABEL=/boot with
/dev/md0 and LABEL=/ with /dev/md2 in /etc/mtab" that I kinda
questioned.  It was my understanding that /etc/mtab is maintained by the
mount command. (From man mount: "The programs mount and umount maintain
a list of currently mounted file systems in  the  file /etc/mtab".)
This makes the command on page 9, "cp -dpRx / /mnt/md2" *appear* to be
copying md2 to itself. Confusion aside, the command has the desired result.

Aside from those 2 points, it went very smoothly.