[CentOS] bind-9.3.4-6.0.2.P1.el5_2 and rrset-order: order 'fixed' not fully implemented

Keith Christian

keithchristian at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 19:59:02 UTC 2008

Running CentOS 5.2 with the following BIND update rpm, installed with "yum update" - bind-9.3.4-6.0.2.P1.el5_2.

Our master DNS has an rrset-order stanza with "order fixed" entries similar to the following:

        rrset-order {
                class IN type A name "abc.foobar123.com" order fixed;
                class IN type A name "def.foobar123.com" order fixed;
                class IN type A name "ghi.foobar123.com" order fixed;
                [ stuff deleted ]
        }

When restarting BIND, I find LOTS of these entries in /var/log/messages:

rrset-order: order 'fixed' not fully implemented
rrset-order: order 'fixed' not fully implemented
rrset-order: order 'fixed' not fully implemented

According to this page, BIND can be compiled with the "enabled-fixed-rrset" option to support this.  How to determine what switches were used to compile the BIND RPM I downloaded with "yum update?"

>From http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/view/?release=9.5.0 :

2362.   [cleanup]       Make "rrset-order fixed" a compile-time option.
                        settable by "./configure --enable-fixed-rrset".
                        Disabled by default. [RT #17977]

Thanks,

=========Keith