[CentOS] Missing fonts for tightvnc

Rob Lockhart rlockhar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 23:48:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Toby Bluhm <tkb at midwestinstruments.com> wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>> Toby Bluhm wrote:

>> But I stopped both iptables and ip6tables and the same error messages.
>>
>> And installing OpenOffice did not 'fix' things. Perhaps setting symlinks
>> may be needed.
>>

> I remember playing games with Matlab to get it to find it's own fonts. I
> think it went something like:
>
> mkdir <fontdir>
> cp fonts* <fontdir>
> mkfontdir <fontdir>
> Add <fontdir> to /etc/X11/fs/config
>
> Like you say, maybe just a link to /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc would do the
> trick.
>
> Perhaps a vnc/X startup script somewhere is hardcoded?

Robert, I noticed the same thing, so what I did is the following:

cd /usr/X11R6/; mkdir lib; cd lib; ln -s /usr/share/X11 .

Now try it.  Seems like the repository from which I got TightVNC has
issues in directory compatibility....  but at least I got it working.

I didn't have a misc fonts directory, and my $HOME/.vnc/xtartup has:
#!/bin/sh

# Red Hat Linux VNC session startup script
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

If that still doesn't work, I'll post the /etc/init.d/vncserver script
that works for me (possibly from an older install of tightvnc - 1.2.9
I believe).

If there's a more elegant solution, someone please let us know!  :-)

  -Rob