[CentOS] file manager over ssh

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 11:43:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 4:10 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Linux Man wrote:
>> Thanks for your help.
>> Yes, I used scp several time and still using it :)
>> But in this case there's a lot of file in different directories, so I
>> need a tool like mc (I don't know if mc runs always over ssh)
>> What file manager that works over console do you recommend me?
>> Thanks at all
>> Best Regards
>
> fuse+sshfs ( wiki.centos.org has details ) - then 'mc' locally.

sshfs is indeed a handy way to access remote filesystems through ssh.
But I do not see any details on the CentOS wiki.  Here's a brief
instruction:

# yum install dkms-fuse fuse fuse-sshfs
# depmod -a ; modprobe fuse
$ mkdir localdir/
$ sshfs remoteuser at remotebox:/some/path localdir/

To unmount:

$ fusermount -u localdir/

Note that you do not have to be root to mount/umount using sshfs.

Another option is to use gftp.  After you start it, just select "SSH2"
instead of the default "FTP".  Then you will be connecting through ssh
(remote does not need ftp daemon running) and you get an mc-like
session quite easily.

Akemi